Vegetarian Recipe #14: Pancake Banana Bread

Today I wanted to make banana bread, so I bought what I thought was all the ingredients.  Of course, when I got home I realized I did not have any baking soda.  Not to fear, in the midst of scouring the cupboard, I happened to notice that one of the ingredients in pancake mix was baking soda.  So I put away the whole wheat flour and opened the bag of whole wheat pancake mix.  Here's what I came up with:

Ingredients:
4 cups whole wheat pancake mix
4 eggs
1/3 c. sugar
1/3 c. honey
3 large bananas (very ripe)
1/2 c. milk
3/4 stick butter (unsalted)
1 tsp. vanilla
1/2 c. raw cashews

Instructions:
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.  In a bowl, mix eggs, sugar, honey, vanilla, and milk.  Stir in pancake mix until all is moist (your hand may hurt).    In a separate bowl, heat the butter until melted.  Then add the bananas and mash until barely chunky.  Chop the cashews and add to the banana/butter mix.  Stir the banana mixture into the pancake mixture.  Pour everything into two bread pans.  Bake for approx. 40 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center of the bread comes out clean. If the edges of the bread start to brown, but the middle isn't cooked all the way, cover the edges in tinfoil and continue baking.

Let cool slightly.  ENJOY!

1 comment: